Monday, June 4, 2001

eRipples v3.23: Ripples of the UNKNOWN!

eRipples: your free weekly splash of inspiration
from Paul & The Ripples Project
version 3.23: Ripples of the UNKNOWN!
Monday, June 4, 2001

PEBBLE ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

We tend not to choose the unknown...
and yet it is the unknown with all its disappointments and
surprises that is the most enriching.
-Anne Morrow Lindbergh, Gift From the Sea, submitted by Sarah Schacht

BOULDER ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

When you come to the end of everything you know
And are faced with the darkness of the unknown,
Faith is knowing one of two things will happen.
Either there will be something solid for you to stand on,
Or you will be taught how to fly.
-Barbara J. Winter, submitted by Bridget Kesner

PONDER ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A few days ago I ventured to New Hampshire to help Plymouth State
College kick off their summer orientation program that helps new
students and their parents prepare for the next chapter in their
lives. The central point of the address was to embrace this
adventure and enjoy every minute of it. After I wrapped up my
presentation, I hopped onto a tiny highway for a short visit to the
Maine coastline. Only a few minutes into my trip I became aware of a
dark uneasiness that had crept over my soul. I was uncomfortable and
I couldn't figure out why. During my 4th or 5th glance at the map to
be sure I was on the right road I realized the problem: I didn't
know exactly where I was going! I had never been on this road and
there were all these possible "wrong turns!"

When I realized that I was blatantly ignoring some pretty good advice
I had just dispensed about embracing the unknown, I took drastic
steps: I pulled over at the next roadside store (which turned about
to be sitting on the lake where "On Golden Pond" was filmed!),
changed into comfy clothes, and jumped back in the car with some
awesome homemade ice cream and a whole new perspective.

The rest of the drive was slow, easy, (a little rainy), and quite
intriguing. In fact, I am going to hit the "send" button now and by
the time you read this I will be on another tiny road heading to,
well, the Unknown!

Peace,
Paul

No comments: