Monday, February 24, 2003

Ripples v5.07: Ripples of MISSING DROPS!

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PEBBLE =o=o=o=o=o==o=o

If the world is cold, make it your business to build fires.
-Horace Traubel, submitted by Monica M., Waverly, IA

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= BOULDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o

We ourselves feel that what we are doing
is just a drop in the ocean.
But if that drop was not in the ocean,
I think the ocean would be less
because of that missing drop.
-Mother Teresa, submitted by Andrea D., Superior, Wisconsin

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PONDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

What a crazy week it was for me! I began in Las Vegas with a team
from Novartis Animal Health and then bipped over to Indianapolis to
spend a day with Duke Realty's Diversity Council. My last stop was
Buffalo State College in New York. Whew! The most challenging
presentation of the week was on Friday evening to a group of students
who arrived at a mandatory meeting clearly dreading the idea of
sitting in a giant auditorium with a "motivational speaker." They
were tired, I was tired, even the sound equipment was tired (it
stopped working half way through the talk!). We all made it through,
but I wondered if it had been a complete waste of time.

On Saturday after a few more talks I returned to the Buffalo airport,
excited to be heading home and feeling mostly good about the
presentations. Well, except for that one. While standing in line to
grab some fast food before heading to the gate, I decided to "let it
go" and realize that I don't always get to have that "WOW!" feeling
after every presentation.

As I was ordering my food, one of the employees came up and said,
"Lunch is on us!" I looked at him to see if he was joking, and he
smiled and said "You were at my school giving a presentation last
night, right?" It turns out that at least one person in the group
thought it was a great use of his time. All I can say is that the
rest of my trip home was filled with that "WOW!" feeling!

I dare you this week to remember that you are a valuable drop of
water and we need your ripples!

Peace,
Paul

No comments: