Sunday, May 29, 2005

Ripples v7.22: Ripples of IDEALS!

Ripples v7.22: Ripples of IDEALS!
Monday, May 30, 2005
a FREE weekly splash from Paul & The Ripples Project

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PEBBLE =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Nobody grows old merely by living a number of years.
We grow old by deserting our ideals.
Years may wrinkle the skin,
but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul.
- Samuel Ullman, submitted by Terry H., Franklin WI

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= BOULDERS =o=o=o=o=o=o=o

It\'s difficult in times like these:
ideals, dreams and cherished hopes rise within us,
only to be crushed by grim reality.
It\'s a wonder I haven\'t abandoned all my ideals,
they seem so absurd and impractical.
Yet I cling to them because I still believe,
in spite of everything,
that people are truly good at heart.

I simply can\'t build my hopes
on a foundation of confusion, misery, and death...
and yet...I think...this cruelty will end,
and that peace and tranquility will return again.
-Anne Frank

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PONDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

I was back on the road this week to visit Lincoln, Nebraska and an passionate group of students interested in nursing and other healthcare-related careers. They certainly did not need to be lectured on how important their jobs would be, nor did they need convincing that helping others is a noble path to self fulfillment. My goal was simply to THANK them for choosing to serve others, and to suggest strategies to help them retain their passion for helping. More importantly, I hoped to reinforce their idealistic notions that even in the crazy, complex, expensive, overwhelmed healthcare system we have in the U.S., a single compassionate, caring soul can help someone heal and truly make a difference.

I suspect you have occasional moments where you catch yourself thinking wildly optimistic thoughts about your potential contribution to the world. Can you make it your goal this week to honor those moments, and let them linger a bit in your mind and heart? Those idealistic notions could become tomorrow\'s reality if you listen, and then act upon them!

Peace,
Paul

p.s. If your last name begins with A, B, C, D, or E, can you take a moment this week to tell me what you like about Ripples and anything we could do to make it better? THANKS!

No comments: