Monday, August 7, 2000

eRipples v2.32: Ripples of RICHES

eRipples: a FREE weekly splash of inspiration
version 2.32 [Monday, August 7, 2000]

PEBBLE ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

We make a living by what we get,
we make a life by what we give.
-Winston Churchill, submitted by Lin Hinds

BOULDER ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

How loudly we lament deprivations,
and how silent we stand
in the midst of riches
which no money could buy.
-found in the journal of Irving Vitse, a sewer worker from Mequon,
Wisconsin; submitted by his granddaughter, Bethany Kopp

PONDER ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I have been enjoying this fabulous summer by transforming my indoor
aerobics sessions into outdoor jogging excursions. The far end of my
usual loop takes me through some of the nicer neighborhoods in Madison with
gigantic homes and magnificent lawns that sit right on a our cozy downtown
lake. Every time I jog through, I find myself longing for the wealth that
these homeowners have acquired to maintain such opulent abodes.

Then some new friends treated me to an evening walk through Olbrich
Gardens, a beautiful public space here in Madison that our community
maintains with donations of time and money. As we strolled through a half
dozen awesome gardens, each with a distinctive array of plants from around
the world, I remembered that for just a few minutes of my time and an
occasional donation I can enjoy a wealth of beauty without buying an
expensive tract of land and spending a ton of money on taxes, upkeep, etc.
I can be rich right now! Woohoo!

I hope you can notice the nice stuff that is all around you this week! -ptw

No comments: