Sunday, July 3, 2005

Ripples v7.27: Ripples of MOUNTAINS!

Ripples v7.27: Ripples of MOUNTAINS!
Monday, July , 2005
a FREE weekly splash from Paul & The Ripples Project

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PEBBLES =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

It is not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves.
-Sir Edmund Hillary, submitted by Bill S., Raleigh NC

No one can choose your mountain or tell you when to climb...
It\'s yours alone to challenge at your own pace and time.
-Patricia J. Hacker-Harber, submitted by Phillip L., Salisbury MD

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= BOULDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
Nature\'s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into the trees.
The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms
their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.
-John Muir, submitted by Sharon S., Portland OR

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PONDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

As I have been hinting in the past several issues of Ripples, the mountains call my name! Ever since a family vacation to visit friends in Boulder 20 years ago, I have been drawn to the craggy peaks and breathtaking valleys of Colorado.

The mountains for me are a unique balance of peaceful serenity and exciting challenge. My favorite spots to relax and ponder are those that I have to sweat a little to reach. The scenery just off the highway is nice, of course, but the more secluded spots that are off the beaten path end up being so much more satisfying. On a typical day, I hike a few hours and then just around a turn or over a hill I\'ve been struggling with BAM!! I discover a magnificent panorama of sky, mountains, trees and soaring birds. If I am really lucky a waterfall gets tossed into the mix as well. Each one of these remarkable views chips off some of the stress caked on to my soul; collectively they rejuvenate my mind, body and spirit so I can return to my work and life with renewed passion.

I am hoping that as I venture off to Colorado you can think of something that for you is more satisfying after extra effort. Perhaps it is the taste of your favorite restaurant\'s specialty dish after you complete a big report, or maybe you can consider a nearby park that allows you to walk, jog, bike or hike your way to nirvana. On the other hand, it is possible your life is currently so stressful and challenging that you\'ve already put in the effort and it is time for the treat: head to Dairy Queen or a movie or a hillside picnic with the sunset!

Meanwhile, after I hit the send button on this issue I will shut down my computer (I\'m leaving it at home, along with my cell phone!) and hop in the car. I will return in a few weeks ready to jump back into work and life and Ripples!

Even from the most remote mountain paths I find, I will still be sending you....

Peace,
Paul

No comments: