Monday, February 1, 1999

Ripples v1.03

Ripples, version 1.03 [February 1, 1999]
An electronic postcard from Stone Soup Seminars

A PEBBLE ###########################

Work like you don't need money,
love like you've never been hurt, and
dance like no one's watching.
Submitted by Debra Paulson, American Family Insurance,
Original Source: Unknown

REFLECTIONS ##########################

Your world is as big as you make it.
I know, for I used to abide
In the narrowest nest in a corner,
My wings pressing close to my side.
I battered the cordons around me
And cradled my wings on the breeze,
Then soared to the uttermost reaches
With rapture, with power, with ease!
Submitted by Shannon S. Vairo, Michigan Technological University,
Original Source: Georgia Douglass Johnson

RECOMMENDATION #########################

I recently had the opportunity to observe a colleague presenting a workshop
on leadership. Her primary reference: the fine writing of Dr. Seuss. It
reminded me of my favorite: Oh, the Places You'll Go (1990, Random House).
It makes a great gift for anyone who is anticipating or struggling with
change: "And when things start to happen, don't worry. Don't stew. Just
go right along. YOU'LL start happening too." It also makes a great treat
for yourself!


SNIPPET ##################################

This week, I presented a new workshop called "Unit of One: Entrepreneurial
Actions for Creating Your Own Profit Centers" to a group of trainers in
Madison and we spent some time exploring the qualities of successful
entrepreneurs. Two of the qualities were creating vision and being
disciplined. While creating vision is the process of widening your view
and seeing the big picture, discipline is about narrowing your focus and
concentrating on specific objectives. On the way home I found myself
pondering the challenge of finding the right balance between the two.
Which are you better at right now? Which could use some of your energy and
time? Good luck finding that balance!

Copyright 1999 Stone Soup Seminars

No comments: