Sunday, December 16, 2012

Ripples #708: Strong Spirit.

Ripples #708: Strong Spirit.
For our tribe of 31,664 busy people who share encouragement and gratitude.
12/18/2012

PEBBLE:
The human spirit is stronger than anything that can happen to it.
-George C. Scott

BOULDER:
Live life fully while you're here.
There's always going to be bad stuff out there.
But here's the amazing thing-
-light trumps darkness every time.
You stick a candle into the dark,
but you can't stick the dark into the light.
-Jodi Picoult


PONDER:
I've had a heavy heart the past few days, and I know many of you have as well. In between some really fun social engagements, I repeatedly found myself somber or sad as I contemplate an appropriate, compassionate response to recent events that are difficult to comprehend. Whenever awful happens (and lately it seems like lots of awful is happening), we have an instinctual desire to protect ourselves and the people we care about. Sometimes, especially when things rattle us to our core, our "fight or flight" response gets ramped up and allow us to say or do things in the heat of the moment that might not represent our best intentions or desires.

I fear that overwhelming grief and frustration can too easily lead to blame games and rash proposals when it seems far more likely to me that causes and solutions are neither obvious nor simple. My hope is that we can take a few deep breaths, allow just a bit more time to grieve, and then engage in constructive dialogue that leads to sustained action. I believe things can and will get better once we are willing to listen compassionately, speak courageously, and work together to identify and implement strategies that will improve our world.

It won't be easy.
It will be worth it.

Peace,
Paul

No comments: