Sunday, October 8, 2006

Ripples v8.41: Ripples of UNIQUENESS!

Ripples v8.41: Ripples of UNIQUENESS!
10/09/06: a FREE weekly splash from The Ripples Project

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PEBBLE =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

I want all my senses engaged.
Let me absorb the world's variety and uniqueness.
-Maya Angelou, submitted by Marilyn F., Lincoln NE

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= BOULDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o

As human beings, our job in life
is to help people realize
how rare and valuable each one of us really is,
that each of us has something
that no one else has,
or ever will have,
something inside that is unique to all time.

It's our job to encourage each other
to discover that uniqueness
and to provide ways of developing its expression.
-Fred Rogers, submitted by Jennifer R., Madison WI

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PONDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

While I was travelling to Indianapolis this week to visit Eli Lilly Federal Credit Union and IUPUI, I faced a series of weather-related travel delays that required some patience as I sat at more than one airport gate wondering "When will the plane get here? When will we board? Will I ever make it to Indy?" In a last-ditch effort to distract myself, I looked around at my fellow weary travelers and began to imagine what their personalities and lives might be like. In a few minutes, I was entranced by the sea of UNIQUENESS I was swimming in.

It was fairly easy to slot my fellow fliers into categories: business people, students, families on vacation, etc. As I more carefully pondered a specific person's features, clothes, and actions, I realized the categories were far too limiting. I reminded myself that each of these magnificent beings has a purpose for being here today, and having arrived here from a specific set of life experiences, they were each just so, er, well, UNIQUE!

By the time I arrived in Indianapolis I was less concerned about what time it was, and more excited to continue reminding myself to pause as often as possible to be more mindful of others around me. Of course, just like other distinct moments of insight and clarity I have experienced in my life, the awareness faded and I soon became absorbed in the tasks at hand: finding my bags, getting to the hotel, finding some dinner, etc.

I hope you will join me as I strive this week to spend a few moments here and there pressing PAUSE on the VCR/TiVo of life to notice how UNIQUENESS is thriving all around us. And then press PLAY and continue on!

Peace,
Paul

No comments: