Sunday, October 22, 2006

Ripples v8.43: Ripples of BREEZES!

Ripples v8.43: Ripples of BREEZES!
10/23/06: a FREE splash from Paul & The Ripples Project

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PEBBLE =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

To be quite oneself, one must first waste a little time.
-Elizabeth Bowen, submitted by Lin H., Bloomington IL

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= BOULDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o

We spend most of our time and energy
in a kind of horizontal thinking.
We move along the surface of things...
[but] there are times when we stop.
We sit still.
We lose ourselves in a pile of leaves or its memory.
We listen and breezes from a whole other world begin to whisper.
-James Carroll, submitted by Julie T., Eugene OR

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o= PONDER =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

This week I was in Denver to make some new friends at the Central Association of College & University Business Officers. I enjoyed my time at their conference, and as an added bonus I was able to sneak west into the Colorado Rockies for some late fall hiking. On one particularly scenic hike in the shadow of Mt. Evans, I found a quiet spot among several piles of leaves (some of which were already tinted with snow) to rest and reflect. The James Carroll quote above sums up my experience: as the brief pause in my hike unexpectedly evolved into an hour of solitude, some creative breezes began stirring and whispering. Soon my mind was whirling with exciting possibilities for my work and my life (including some for The Ripples Project!) and my return hike was considerably shortened by an enthusiastic pace. It was just what I needed to feel recommitted to my personal and professional goals.

Before the fall leaves disappear for the season, I hope you can take a walk this week and let your spirit be moved by a fresh BREEZE!

Peace,
Paul

No comments: