Sunday, August 30, 2009

Ripples v11.34: Bubbling Brooks!

Ripples v11.34: Bubbling Brooks!
The Ripples Project is a tribe of 22,882
who believe tiny actions create big possibilities
Monday, August 31, 2009

_______
PEBBLE
The bubbling brook would lose its song
if you removed the rocks.
-source unknown, submitted by Flory D., India

________
BOULDER
Adversity is like a strong wind.
It tears away from us all but
the things that cannot be torn,
so that we see ourselves
as we really are.
-Arthur Golden, submitted by Jamie W., Middleton, WI

_______
PONDER

Life is not always easy, eh?

I have heard from several fellow Ripplers lately who are experiencing BIG challenges in their lives: loss of loved ones, major disruptions in work/school/life, and dealing with other "stuff" that makes life rocky. It is heartbreaking to hear how difficult life can be for each of us at times.

As I look over my responses to them, I notice a common phrase that I have used in various forms. While I try to avoid using absolutes like "always" and "never," I stand by these: Life is not always easy, convenient, pretty, or fair; life, however is ALWAYS is worth it. The hard stuff makes us stronger the same way the heavier weights are what make the difference in strength training (many of you have heard me say that I'd do more weight lifting if they weren't so darn heavy--but of course if they were light they wouldn't help me strengthen my muscles!).

Believe me, I have days where I wish all the "rocks" in the bubbling brook of my life could be magically removed. Luckily I have the good sense to remember that so much of my character, my personal strength, and my capacity to help others has grown from dealing with the difficult stuff.

I'm truly sorry if life is extra tough for you right now; I hope you seek good people to support you, calming music to soothe you, and an occasional Dairy Queen treat every now and then is pretty darn awesome too.

Peace,
Paul

No comments: